August 28, 2012

Housewifery: Sometimes My House Wins

As I sit here writing there are dishes in the sink, laundry that needs to be started, laundry that needs to be folded, floors that need to be swept, rooms that need to be vacuumed, bathrooms that need to be cleaned.

Sometimes, I feel like my house is winning.

Do you ever feel that way?  Like your house has mastered you rather than the other way around?

I used to get really overwhelmed with the to-do list that comes with being a stay-at-home wife and mom.  I felt like if there were dirty dishes in the sink or if the bed wasn't made I wasn't doing my job.  But I have come to the conclusion that my house doesn't have to be meticulous because it is a home; we live in it.  And I realized that playing with Caffrey or Skypeing with my Dad or having coffee with a friend can take precedence over dirty dishes.  But I also believe that I need to spend my time wisely and that caring for the things I have been blessed with is very much a part of my responsibility.  So every day I work to find the balance.  And I am happy to say that I feel like I am beginning to grasp what I like to call "Housewifery."

It's definitely not easy and sometimes my house wins but that is when I remind myself that tomorrow is a new day, with no mistakes in it (Anne of Green Gables anyone?).

I know I still have much to learn so I am open to your ideas.  How do you approach housewifery?  Any tricks you would like to share?

I hope you're all having a happy day.

I'm off to do some laundry while Caffrey sleeps.

Loves!






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great post! So true.....there are many days where I feel like the house is overtaking me and other days where I feel like it's under control. Balance is key, as is prioritizing. I have to remember that sometimes it's more important to stop and build a lego castle with my girls than washing the rest of the dishes.